Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Lets "Talk Story"

Communication today is very different from just 10 years ago. Now we have cell phones everywhere, texting, posting, tweeting, etc. etc. Most times the communication is one way. Well maybe we need to change. I propose we have a two way conversation face to face. That can be scary for many who only want to communicate via keyboard. Well times are a changing and now is your chance to get a foot in the door of a program I call "Talk Story".

I grew up in Hawaii and until the missionaries came to Hawaii we had no written language. Culture, history, art, and everything else was passed down through stories. I have a  girls Hawaiian middle name Kalikookalani which means the heavenly budding flower. Now why a girls middle name for a boy? Here is the "story" I was told. When the American's took over the islands in 1893, they went after all of the Royals. Queen Liliokalani was put under house arrest. Those fearing the same faith took on English names to hide their Royal Lineage. According to the "story" I was told I am a decedent of Princess Kalikookalani, daughter of Kamehameha and Kaaumanu. Pretty cool right. I don't think its true but it is kinda fun to think you are an Alii. Well this is way off the subject. Or is it?

Talking story is a way for us to truly communicate. We sit and listen. I am sure it is different for men and women. We guys mostly talk about our hobbies, like fishing, cars, or sports. We try to one up each other. We tell politically incorrect jokes. We poke fun at each others faults. But most of all we laugh, we share, we become community. I am sure women are not much different. They may not talk about cars, fishing or sports though I am sure they are also building community. So how do we do this?

Have a party. Progressive dinners are fun, pot lucks are easy, however my favorite is a cook out. Men make fire. Put meat on fire. Eat meat. We all stand around the grill trying not to burn everything all the while the women gather to discuss the latest gossip. We laugh, we sing (me always off key), we understand that we are not alone.

What does this have to do with communication in today's society? Lets stop to communicating one way. Lets stop formulating what we are going to say before the person finishes their sentence. Lets make it a point to allow ourselves a chance to share our story. Our unwritten story. Let us all take time to sit back and listen to each other and wait for silence, then tell our story.

Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment